Excavation revealing traces of Iron Age Round House at Maenclochog.
Maenclochog is a small, thriving village situated at the foot of the Preseli Hills some 10 miles east of Fishguard on the B4313 Narberth road.
Archaeologists and local volunteers digging at the village car park believe they have found the remains of a medieval castle and signs of a much earlier Iron Age settlement.
Archaeologist Duncan Schlee in front of remains of the castle wall, Maenclochog.
One excavation revealed holes in the earth and a heart which indicates the existence of a roundhouse of approx 12 metres in diameter (similar to those at Castell Henllys near Eglwyswrw). This indicates an Iron Age settlement sometime between 700 to 800 BC and 43 AD.
Local volunteer Lucy Elcomb excavating the Iron Age hearth.
The second excavation revealed part of the stone wall likely to be the outer wall of a Norman castle built in the early 12th century. There were further signs of a defensive bank and ditch surrounding the castle. Additional stonework on top of the castle wall could indicate the existence of a village ‘pound’. (Records exist of a castle being attacked by the ‘Welsh’ in 1215 and again in 1275.)
More intrepid volunteers taking a short break on excavating the castle wall, Maenclochog.
The excavations will be preserved and covered over on September 30th. A presentation will be made on the findings to the community in November.
The dig was organised by a local enterprise organisation PLANED with the help of Cambria Archaeology and Pembrokeshire National Park, thanks to EU funding.